Spanish Technological Platform for Advanded Materials and Nanomaterials
Positioning and International Presence
ICAMCyL has established numerous alliances that enhance our positioning in the international context. We are present in the main European forums with relevance for the current and future activities of the Foundation in our fields of interest. These alliances strenghten our image and identity, allow the creation of fruitful synergies and give us the opportunity to find common goals for the development of new technological solutions. ICAMCyL was born as a competence center focused on helping the industry as a way of promoting regional development. For this reason, we constantly work to grow our partners and alliances at different levels. They reinforce our presence and impact, and help us act as a real support for the needs of the industry and the development of our territory.
Find below our most relevant alliances and partnerships:
- Smart Specialization Platforms (S3P)
- Clusters and associations
- Technology Platforms
- Cooperation agreements
- Education and universities
S3 Platform on Mining Industry, Related Industries and Services and Global Value Chains
This Smart Specialisation Platform for Industrial Modernization (S3P- Industry) is focused on Mining industry, related industries and services and global value chains. The background for this partnership is in Interreg Europe project Remix and H2020 project MIREU. This partnership operationalises the work of these projects and shift the focus on inter-regional investments.
The aims of the partnership are:
- to strengthen the regional and interregional innovation capacity to facilitate investments, growth and employment in mining industry, related industries and services in regions.
- to identify novel opportunities for joint-demonstration between regions based on the survey and mapping exercise conducted in the early phase of this partnership.
- to spread the knowledge of expert organisations to support regional growth and new business and work opportunities, and to create also a solid European collaboration among the regions involved in this initiative.
The S3P on mining industry involves two leading regions, Lapland and North Karelia (Finland), and five participating regions: Asturias and Castilla y León (Spain), Kainuu (Finland), Sterea Ellada (Greece) and Västerbotten (Sweden).
S3 Platform on Advanced Materials for Batteries for Electro-mobility and Stationary Energy Storage
This Smart Specialisation Platform for Industrial Modernization (S3P- Industry) was launched in October 2018. The main objective of the partnership is to develop joint R&D&I projects on topics of advanced materials, their characterisation, durability, suitable for extreme working conditions with the goal to deploy them in the field of batteries. Batteries here are electro-chemical products with the final goal of enabling electro-mobility and enhancing the capacity and performance of stationary energy storage.
This platform includes the participation of entities from several European regions: Castille and Leon, Basque Country, Catalonia (ES), Flanders (BE), Rhones-Alpes (FR) and Slovenia to name a few. Key objectives are:
- Advanced materials as one of Key Enabling Technologies identified as a priority for EU industrial policy.
- Secure access to raw materials and support to battery manufacturing in order to strengthen industrial leadership through joint EU research and innovation support.
- Bridging the gap between research and industry application in the field of advanced materials for batteries for electromobility and stationary energy storage.
- Through the joint innovation eco-systems, contributing to innovation results that enable reduced costs for advanced materials and hence increased development, deployment and adoption of clean energy and clean mobility technologies.
This platform involves three leading regions, Andalusia, Castilla y León (Spain) and West Slovenia (Slovenia) and other 23 participating regions from Spain, Austria, France, Germany, Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Italy and Norway.
In the European landmark, ICAMCyL development lines will be reinforced with the inclusion and participation in relevant international associations. As of today, ICAMCyL is present in several association, alliances and committees of strong relevance at European level, we can highlight the following:
Technology Platforms are public-private partnerships usually lead by the industry, with the aim of establish a coordinated shared estrategic action or plan in order to identify and priorise needs and requirements at research and technical innovation levels. From ICAMCyL we consider the participation in these technology platforms part of our Strategic Innovation Plan, and in this way we direct part of our resources to be present and participate from all those national and international platforms that will enhance our positioning. Some of the platforms where ICAMCyL already takes part are:
Spanish Technology Platform for Concentrated Solar Energy
European Platform for Advanced Engineering Materials and Technologies
European initiative for sustainable development by Nanotechnologies
Additionally, ICAMCyL promotes signing cooperation agreements with reknown institutions of international relevance in all the areas and disciplines of interest, wioth the aim of providing specific technological solutions as well as the attraction of European funds. Here we can include research entities
. Aquí incluimos desde entidades del mundo de la investigación like Technology Centers, to other stakeholders such as local councils, regional goverments, NGOs or any other entity of interest. These are some of the prestigious institutions with which ICAMCyL has already closed cooperation agreements:
Another relevant task for the Foundation resides in the possibility to colaborate with surrounding Universities to perform research stays, final year research projects, industrial doctorates under co-tutelage, hosting students and scholars under practical periods, share research infrastructures, completion of shared research projects or involve University personnel in the R&D activities of the Foundatio through the creation of Mixed Research Units. ICAMCyL is currently working with several Universities in Castilla y León and surroundings to complete specific agreements to allow the development of such activities.